A world class learning experience is five tips away.
- Be really curious! In every moment, want to know and understand more.
- Embrace a culture of learning over a culture of earning. Concern yourself with learning and growing personally instead of getting that A+.
- Manage your time well. Where are you going to carve out the time to devote to being curious and learning?
- Build connections. Be aware of the people behind the course (instructors, learners, authors, etc). Reach out and connect with these people.
- Leave it a little better than it was when you first came. Contribute to the learning environment, your fellow learners, and the course.
What else might you add to this list to make it even better learning experience!
Technology seems to change at an ever increasing speed, especially when we think about the internet. It’s purpose and uses have changed so rapidly that no one can really keep up without help.
Yet technology and internet software can be significantly helpful as you lead and manage your ministry. This is especially true when it comes to facilitating communication and collaboration. With the internet, we can communicate with anyone around the globe with a few seconds. A few seconds more and we are collaborating with them in real time via document sharing or video conferencing.
Our organization uses Google Apps to assist our communication efforts. But it only works if our missionaries know how and make the effort to use them. Here to help is a series of eleven short videos to explain to get to OC’s intranet and how to use Google Drive.
Watching these videos will only take a few minutes, but in return give you tools to communicate and collaborate with your fellow missionaries for untold added value. In addition to these eleven videos, you’ll also find many links to helpful information on many of the Google Apps and other web tools that may prove useful in your ministry.
Note: These videos and the associated links are only available to current OC Employees.
Are you receiving too many Learning Center emails? Are you overwhelmed with the amount of emails you receive? Do they clog your inbox? You will receive Learning Center emails for a variety of reasons. And when you’re enrolled in several online courses and subscribed to forums, these emails can quickly fill the inbox and drown you in notifications!
There is a solution! You can tell the Learning Center to combine all the Learning Center emails into one that you receive daily. It’s called a daily digest. This How-To will show you how to manage you email notifications by choosing to receive a daily digest of all your emails from the Learning Center.
There are three options when considering how you want to receive emails.
No Digest – You will receive an email for every notification.
Complete – You will receive one email daily with all the notifications of the day. This is the recommended option.
Subjects – You will receive one email daily with only the subjects of each notification. You will be required to click on them to enter the Learning Center and read them.
Set Your Daily Digest
1. Head to the OC Learning Center.
2. Find the Settings block in the left column.
3. Click “My Profile Settings”
4. Click “Edit Profile”
5. Find the setting called Email Digest Type
6. Choose one of the options displayed. No Digest, Complete, or Subjects.
7. Click “Update Profile” at the bottom of the page. You’re set!
Many courses in the OC Learning Center will have at least one discussion forum. Forums allow participants to discuss certain topics in a delayed conversational form. All that this means is that you’re able to talk to other students even if they are not currently on the OC Learning Center. You may begin a conversation and an hour later one of your participants logs in and replies to your comments.
This can be especially useful when some participants are offline when the conversation begins. The conversation is preserved and they can contribute at a later time when they happen to be logged in.
To subscribe to a forum simply means that you get email notifications whenever someone contributes to the conversation. If you are involved in several different forums and discussions, this can be essential to maintaining your sanity. In this How-To we’re going to subscribe to a discussion forum. Watch this video or follow the step-by-step below.
Subscribe to Forum
1. Head to the OC Learning Center.
2. Enter one of your courses that has a discussion forum.
3. Click on a discussion forum. You can recognize a forum by the icon .
4. In the left column, you’ll notice a block called Settings. Scroll down the page if you don’t see it.
5. Click on “Forum Administration” to view the options.
6. Click on “Subscribe to this forum.”
7. You will now receive emails whenever someone contributes to this forum.
Note: You must subscribe to each forum separately.